rdb

Tell me about the Adler 1296

It's for sale within 100 miles of me, so before i make that trip, I thought I'ld ask.

I can't really find anything about it doing searches., except for a photo of one out in Iowa.

The guy has it, but never used it since he bought it..it's still in his garage. The previous owner used it in his Leather and tack business..

From what little I did find, I can't tell what it really is for, or what it can do. The way the guy explained it, it can sew at a crawl, or rip it.

He wants 650 for it...the one in Iowa is 450, pickup only. Hopefully somebody can tell me a little more...thanx for looking.

The Adler 1296 is more of a medium duty machine. The ones I worked on had a roller foot. Boot tops, etc. A single needle presser foot table machine. Won't be able to do much more than chaps and light belts. Of course, I could be mistaken.

Edited by TracyMoss

Thanks for that Tracy...I did find this, not sure what all of it means yet....

1-Needle Flat Bed Machine Dog-Feed, Roller Foot,

Self-Oiler, Table,Stand, Clutch Motor, 380/3/50

This is the ad, It does say up to 1/2"...dunno if that's true. If it does, then that will good for now until I have a couple two thousand centavos for an Artisan or some such..

leather sewing machine( NICE) - $650

Adler commercial sewing machine.Will sew leather,nylon and bio such as bridles harness parts, chaps etc.It will sew up to 1/2 inch thick.It has an eletric motor and a air motor.Asking $650 this same machine new is $5300.

I doubt that machine is $5,000+ for a new one. Adler no longer makes the thing, not since the 80's. Anyhow, I believe the true manufacturer was Pfaff. Adler name, but Pfaff made. Pfaff, Adler, and Ferdinand all had identical machines of one kind or another at one time. And the 1/2 inch is the foot lift. Put that much under there and the machine probably will not work so well. IMO>

The new pfaff 1296 is a post machine, it's 5000. He might be confused. The beef might come from the air..I don't anything about runnin off the air

I can put a Hemi on a tricycle, but it won't pull a Goose-Neck. The Air stitchers have a tendency to run off with you. So I'm told.

You are probably right. If I can't find the specs and possibilities tonight, I'll call Adler tomorrow, just to see what they say. I have to find something in this price range. I need to do wallets and concealed carry belts. I want the artisan or equal, but I think it will be like using a jackhammer on a brad....not to mention switching from one project to the next.

I have a 205 and I sew anything from wallets, to chaps, to saddles, to pulling collars ,back to wallets and check books. All I have to do is change the thread and needle for the smaller stuff. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I have a 205 and I sew anything from wallets, to chaps, to saddles, to pulling collars ,back to wallets and check books. All I have to do is change the thread and needle for the smaller stuff. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I've got a 205 also and it will do anything I need it to do. I do have other machines set up for other jobs so I don't have to muck around changing thread etc but the 205 is good for just about any job. I have noticed that the old Singer 132 - k6 never gets mentioned here. The are a great old work horse,there must be thousands of them around, parts are available anywhere and they never seem to give me any problems, I have 3 of them and use them regularly.

I went by Zack Whites a couple of weekends ago and they have a couple of used machines for sale. I did not write down model numbers. You may want to give them a call because they would not be far up the road from Chatam county.

Thanx Snuffy. The last time I went, there wasn't what I wanted, but maybe he got some new ones.