ClayB

Ron Edwards

RONALD GEORGE EDWARDS,

Who died at the Cairns Base Hospital

Saturday 5 January 2008,

After a battle with a long illness.

Aged 77.

RON EDWARDS

Ron Edwards was born in Geelong, Vic, 10 October 1930. He began his Art training at the Gordon Institute of Technology, Geelong, Victoria and completed it at Swinburne Technical College (now University), Melbourne. He founded what was to be the Rams Skull Press in 1950.

ACHIEVMENTS.

He achieved -

Diploma of Art - Art of the Book, Swinburne Art School, Melbourne, 1949.

Diploma of Illustration, Swinburne Art School, Melbourne, 1959.

Diploma of Art & Design, Swinburne University of Technology 1997, and D Univ (Sut) 2000.

He was a Lecturer in Art, Swinburne Institute of Technology 1955-56.

He began a study of Eastern calligraphy and brush painting in 1977. Received lessons from Pang Shou-yi in China in 1978. Studied calligraphy in Hiwasa, Japan, in 1983 under 82 year old Yukie Hamguchi and Naoko Kobe, a noted teacher in Tokushima prefecture.

He worked with anthropologist Charles Mountford 1960-65 on a survey of Aboriginal rock art in north Queensland.

Editor of the folklore journal National Folk 1966-1971

Had an exhibition of his paintings in the Cairns Regional Gallery during February and March 2001

President of the Australian Folklore Society 1984-Jan 2008

President of the Australian Whipmakers and Plaiters Association. Oct 1985-Jan 2008.

AWARDS.

Awarded The Australian Folk Trust Fellowship 1985

Was a semi-finalist in BHP's 1988 Bicentennial Award for the Pursuit of Excellence. Nominated in the category of Literature for his contributions to Australian folklore and crafts.

Awarded Order of Australia Medal (OAM) in 1992.

Awarded Advance Australia Foundation Award in 1995.

Awarded Australian Folk Trust Citation 1997.

Awarded a Doctorate, honoris causa, by Swinburne University, Melbourne. 2000.

WRITING AND PUBLISHING.

Has written 25 major books on Australian folklore, also a number of books on Indigenous music, bush crafts, leatherwork, Asian subjects and assorted subjects, Currently has 130 books in print.

Ron has been the Director and mainstay of the Rams Skull Press since 1952 and during that time until now has written, illustrated and published in excess of 300 books and scholarly papers. He has published a few books for other people, and illustrated some books for other authors and publishers.

He has travelled widely throughout the outback collecting material for his paintings and for books. His major books include Australian Folksong (12 volumes), Bush Crafts, Volumes 1 to10, The Big Book of Australian Folksong, Traditional Torres Strait Island Cooking, Some Songs from the Torres Strait, and a series of small books resulting from workshops at the various communities.

thanks for posting this clay. rons books are the best. i have read quite a few of his and still refer back to his lacing book. Never knew he came from my home town. Rest in Peace

Hi All,

I just thought I would advise that Ron Edwards passed away suddenly last week. His funeral was on Saturday.

I am unsure if any of you knew him and wanted to pass on your condolances to the family but he will be greatly missed as a master braider and a vritable fountain of information on leather and bushcrafts.

Regards

Johanne

Oh No! What a loss! I have some of his books too. I always appreciate those who are so willing to SHARE their talent, not keep it all to themselves. He's certainly left his mark.

My condolences to his family and friends. He will be missed.

Linda

Edited by Kanga

I am presently indisposed for a little while outside of Australia so I've only just found out. This is such bad news. I,m not sure how well known Ron has been outside of Australia but I strongly urge people who are interested in leatherwork and plaiting/braiding to check out His titles via the Rams Skull press. His descriptions and illustrations are easy to follow.

I have attached links to both the rams skull press and the Australian plaiters and whip makers association.

Barra

http://www.ramsskullpress.com/crafts.html

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/ramskull/apwa.htm

Very sorry to hear of Ron's passing. I've had the opportunity to read my copy of his book on whipmaking and appreciate the wonderful illustrations and portraits he includes in his publications.

Let's not forget to pass on all we know in appreciation of all we've learned.

Respectfully.

C79