robert

questions on creating a webpage

Over the years, i have had a couple of webpages... the first was designed using a template that my internet provider provided, the second was using Front Page Express, which was included on the computer I had at the time, but is no longer available. Both created simple websites, which was all I need. i think the total site was 8-10 pages, with probably 40 pictures.

For you folks that have webpages, what is a good software that is just "plug and play"?

I just want a simple site that is easy to update... Any suggestions?

thanks

robert

Front page is way out of date these days.... but the program that took its place is good: Microsoft Expressions. Also Macromedia has a program called Dreamweaver. Both are good, I prefer Dreamweaver.

Do you still have Front Page (part of MS Office)? Coffeecup is another good WYSIWYG editor. Dreamweaver costs money.

Johanna

If you go to www.downloads.com you can download Macromedias full line of webdesign software for a 30 day free trial, all the functions work.

Ken

I got something called "Namo Web Creator" at Office Depot for something like 50 bucks. What I like is I can switch back and forth between a WYSIWYG and HTML.

However. A lot of the WYSIWYG editors add in a lot of unnecessary code to your page. Sometimes that can make your website act goofy, or be slow. Another problem is you can get your site to look good on *YOUR* computer, but on someone else's computer it doesn't look so hot, or sometimes doesn't work well. (Example: the pages are too wide, and people have to scroll back and forth to read your site.)

I know it sounds hard, but the best thing to do is teach yourself at least a little HTML. That way you can go through your code and fix it - you'll be able to tell what is BS and what you really need to run your site. You won't have people complaining they can't see the pictures, or that they have to scroll back and forth. It's not as hard as it sounds and is well worth the effort.

I was advised to do that way back when I wrote my first page, and boy that was great advice and has saved me much grief and money. You can learn it for free on the internet: Google HTML search There are about a million links there. What I did was to go out and buy a book. I bought one called "Teach Yourself HTML and XHTML in 21 Days".

You just need a little bit of knowledge to help you on your way, no need to become a total nerd! :) But it sure helps figure out stuff when something goes wrong. It's really great to not have to pay someone else and just fix it yourself.

Oh yes, and you need a good web host like I have... ;)

I second Johanna's recommendation of Coffeecup. I also have used a couple of other free web design/editing programs that are suprisingly full-featured for programs you can download for free:

HTML Kit

Nvu

Kate

What type of website are you wanting? Depending on what you are wanting you might consider using a Content Management System or blogging software. Those would allow you to only worry about the content and not have to bother with the html if you use a template.

Jason

cool... thanks all for the good suggestions. Sounds like I have a little research to do...

My previous sites were very simple - mostly just an electronic brochure to point people to when they say "can you make (fill in the blank)" - I could just show them the kind of work I do and some examples. I always kidded that the page was really so my Mom could show all her friends (just fyi, i am mid-40s... I've learned that moms never tire of showing off their kid's stuff :wave: ).

I use Frontpage and love it. Some folks use the latest version call Expressions. I have heard mixed reviews.

I use 1and1.com for my host, they are cheap, reliable and have 100% up time. I can call them with weird problems (loose nut behind computer...) and they are patient with me.

Andy

My web pages: www.shottist.com

When I first read this I can call them with weird problems (loose nut behind computer...) and they are patient with me. all I could think of was "freak" except in front of the computer.

Ken

Hi there,

Well, I will throw in my two cents for the support of using coffeecup, HTMLKit, and another called HomeSite which I belive is now part of Macromedia's Dreamweaver. I tend to use non-WYSIWYG editors(what you see is what you get). Being a programmer, I am picky about code formatting.... sometimes. ;) I will throw out one idea for you though that is simple, fast, and great looking. If you know or have access to Adobe Photoshop CS*, you can use a built in website generator to create a website in mere seconds. They have a lot of different styles from Flash to HTML to Javascript options. It is always a quick way for me to throw my pics straight from my camera to the web for friends. If you have access and need instructions on how to use this feature, just let me know!

I use Dream Weaver (now owned by Adobe). My web host offers a free site builder as part of the plan. I think many do, I don't know it they are worthe a lick but I bet others here might know.

David Genadek

Has anyone used "VCOM Web Easy Professional 7" or do you know anything about it. I have frontpage on our computer, it seems way above my limited computer skills, and I just don't have the time to spare away from the bench to learn how to use it. From what I have read easy web is very straight forward and quick. They advertise that you can have a site up in hours. I do realize that in most cases if it sounds to good to be true that it may be.

Thanks Much

Steve

I had a client ask me to build a website with WebEasy.

http://rlnphotography.com

I hate that software, and would rather code pages from scratch than jump through all the hoops. That is just my humble opinion, and someone else might find it useful and easy to figure out.

Johanna

*the owner of this site takes care of it now, not me. I shared the link as an example of a website built with that software.

I wonder why it should matter to a client what you use to create the pages, as long as the design specs are met? It's all html in the end. :rolleyes:

Kate

i hadn't seen coffeecup before.

i just spent some time learning it and re did my site.

still things to add but, nice program

Great topic! Thanks for the much needed information.

Over the years, i have had a couple of webpages... the first was designed using a template that my internet provider provided, the second was using Front Page Express, which was included on the computer I had at the time, but is no longer available. Both created simple websites, which was all I need. i think the total site was 8-10 pages, with probably 40 pictures.

For you folks that have webpages, what is a good software that is just "plug and play"?

I just want a simple site that is easy to update... Any suggestions?

thanks

robert

I have just been down this road and I found that I got the best results doing it the hard way. Just use html and css with a simple editor. Note pad has been used to create some awesome sites.

A good place to get started is the w3Schools tutorials. Google w3c for their url.

Sidney Wood

I have just been down this road and I found that I got the best results doing it the hard way. Just use html and css with a simple editor. Note pad has been used to create some awesome sites.

A good place to get started is the w3Schools tutorials. Google w3c for their url.

Sidney Wood

Thanks Sidney... I always hate it when the best way to do stuff is the old fashion way - WORK!

On another note, I see you are from south callahan county... my wife grew up in cross plains and her parents now live between Cross Plains and May.. and my family is from Brownwood - and my last name is Wood... no kin that I am aware of, but heck you never know...

Welcome to the site.

robert

Robert;

The internet technolgy is in a constant state of evolution and most of the older software to create web pages tend to become obsolete in that they produce a lot of unnecessary code and large files. Of course I haven't tried the all and there may be exceptions. All you need for basic display of content is HTML for the content and CSS to make it look the way you want it. As both can be done with a simple text editor, I found it easier to do with the tools I already had than having to learn new software. The only software I have kept for my work on my site is a free text editor called "The Crimson Editor" that highlights the html elements.

A trip through the W3C tutorials will give you an idea of how simple the basic process is. Broken down into simple steps the whole thing is not so overwhelming. Something you need to stay away from is the old method of using html tables for page layout and use CSS instead.

The things that drive this approach for me are an insatiable curiosity (and the time to satisfy it) and wanting to do things the way I want instead of the way dedicated programs will let me.

An interesting thing is to use view in the browser and look at the page source for the site you are at. You will find some that go on forever to produce a page that that could have been done with half a page of code.

By the way, I worked closely with the telephone people in Brownwood for several years in the 80's when I maintained the old microwave path that fed their toll circuits out of Abilene. I particularly remember Bob Stewart, Charlie Gamblin and Ken Ellis.

Good luck with a web site and if I can help dont hesitate to ask.

Sidney Wood

stwood@taylortel.net

If you want to look at my site about braided knots it is http://taylortel.net/~stwood

OK.... I'm goin to ask a dum question here. but if i don't ask I'll never know.

What is CSS ???

I did manage to build my own website with netscape compose, but that was over 10 years ago and its past time to upgrade it.

Thanks for help

dam

OK.... I'm goin to ask a dum question here. but if i don't ask I'll never know.

What is CSS ???

I did manage to build my own website with netscape compose, but that was over 10 years ago and its past time to upgrade it.

Thanks for help

dam

CSS is Cascading Style Sheets. It is one of the "dialects" that the browsers "speak" . It allows you to style the presentation of the HTML or XHTML content of a page or pages with style statements inline- in the head of a page, or a separate css file. By having the style (colors, fonts, positioning, borders, etc. in a style sheet file you can add pages with HTML that will be like all the rest without going through all the style stuff again. You con also change the appearance of a whole site with one style sheet. This approach also results in much smaller HTML files.

Sidney Wood

Thanks Sidney,

So if i understand correctly it makes it improves the efficiency of very fancy and otherwise complicated layouts. And I can change the styles of a whole bunch of pages by just making changes in one file, the style sheet.

Do modern webpage building programs come with CSS or do i need some specific CSS program?

Once again thankyou

dam

Thanks Sidney,

So if i understand correctly it makes it improves the efficiency of very fancy and otherwise complicated layouts. And I can change the styles of a whole bunch of pages by just making changes in one file, the style sheet.

Do modern webpage building programs come with CSS or do i need some specific CSS program?

Once again thankyou

dam

The style statements them selves were added to HTLM 4.0 and the cascading sheets are just a method of implementing them. I don't know for sure about the wep page building programs as I write my own HTMl with a text editor. You could look at the page source from o source that used one of them (probably be listed under "generator in the head" , for a style sheet reference or style tags in the head or body of the page.

If this interests you the best thing is to go to WWW Consortium page ae http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp and look at the tutorials. The cover HTML, CSS Java Script and a lot more, with references for everything.

Sidney Wood